He (Huston) was the earliest white inhabitant of the vicinity of whom any information can be gained.On the 26th of April, 1771, Abraham, Martha, and Joseph Hunter sold their tracts, Catfish Camp, Marthas Bottom, and Grand Cairo (in all about one thousand and sixty acres), to David Hoge, a native of Cumberland County.
In 1780, when the erection of the new county of Washington was being agitated, Hoge determined to lay out a town on the lands purchased from the Hunters doubtless with the expectation that it would become the seat of justice of the proposed county, of which the site of the new town would be within a mile of the territorial centre.
He built a log house (on the site of Streans hardware-store) in the early spring of 1781, and the act erecting Washington County, passed March 28, 1781, directed the courts to be held at the house of David Hoge, Esq., and in his log house the first court was so held on the 2d of October in that year.
In the same year William Hoge received on 130 quit-rents the sum of 00, and in 1809 on 147 he received 80.
These rents were bough off from time to time, and mostly ceased about 1860.
This name, which was given not only to the tract but also the settlement which afterwards became the town of Washington (and clung to it for many years), was derived from an old Delaware Indian named Tingooqua in English, Catfish who lived there, and of whom mention is made in the history of the Indian occupation in this volume.
His wigwam or camp was on the stream, northeast of Trinity Hall, but it is said that he occupied several different locations in the immediate vicinity at different times.
Demands are still occasionally made, but no attention is paid to them.
The first property to which title by deed was given was the public square sold for a site for the courthouse and prison of Washington County.
This deed describes the property as lying in the town of Bassett Town, and is the only one ever made containing such description.
The next deed that appears of record was made by David Hoge to James Marshel, and conveyed lot No. This lot was sold by Marshel to Hugh Wilson on the 4th of January, 1786.
The original owners of the site occupied by the borough of Washington were Abraham Hunter, Martha Hunter, and Joseph Hunter, Jr., who were among the host of applicants who thronged the land-office of the proprietaries immediately after its opening in the spring of 1769 for the sale of the lands which had been ceded by the Indians a few months previously by the treaty of Fort Stanwix.